Elder Abuse Lawyers: How to Report Abuse or Neglect

Every state has different laws when it comes to reporting elder abuse and neglect. In most cases, professionals, such as doctors, nurses and facility staff, are required to report abuse to authorities. Elder abuse lawyers strongly encourage loved ones, neighbors, and even strangers to report elder abuse if and when you strongly believe something wrong is happening.

elder abuse lawyersTo file a complaint in New Jersey:

Call Toll Free Intake Line: 1-877-582-6995
Email: ombudsman@advocate.state.nj.us
Write: The Office of the Ombudsman
P.O. Box 852
Trenton, NJ 08625-0852
Fax: 609-943-3479

To file a complaint in Pennsylvania:

Call toll free Elder Abuse Hotline at 1-866-623-2137
Email: elderabuse@attorneygeneral.gov

In case of an emergency please call 911.

What Happens When You Report Elder Abuse

After a report has been filed, an investigation will be performed to determine the extent of abuse or neglect. They will be looking to find out:
-Is the victim is in immediate danger?
-What is the nature of the abuse?
-Is it likely to happen again?
-What is the level of risk?
-Can the victim make decisions for themselves and their care?
-What needs to be done to prevent future abuse?

Depending on the results of the investigation, authorities will follow protocol do what is best for the alleged victim. Sometimes, that involves immediate medical attention, relocation to a new facility, or placing them in the hands of a new caretaker. If the abuse is considered a crime, the police take action and file criminal charges. In some states, the victim can stop the investigation unless they are not mentally capable of making their own decisions or a crime has been committed.

New Jersey and Philadelphia Elder Abuse Lawyers

If you or your loved one has suffered abuse, negligence, and inadequacy you should contact elder abuse lawyers. The team at Messa & Associates is dedicated to earning justice and compensation for those injured or worse by negligence and abuse in nursing homes and long term care facilities. Call, toll-free, 1-800-MessaLaw, or submit a free online inquiry. If you would like immediate assistance, click the CHAT LIVE icon to the right. A representative is present right now to answer your questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *