Everday, the Consumer Product Safety Commision issues information about defective products that are being recalled. Many people are wondering, “Are these types of defective product recalls the same as the DePuy Orhtopaedics hip implant recall?” The simple answer is no.
Ordinarily, if you purchase a defective product and it is recalled, you simply have to stop using the product and return it for a refund. Although it is inconvenient, it is a very simple issue to resolve. However, a recall involving a defective hip implant is not quite so simple. These are some of the steps that must be taken.
- Determine if your surgery was before or after July, 2003. If your surgery was before this date, you do not have a DePuy hip implant as they were only available after this date.
- Contact the orthopaedic surgeon who performed your replacement or the hospital where the hip implant surgery took place. Ask them, “Did I receive a DePuy Orthopaedics ASR XL Hip Implant System?” If not, your implant is not part of the recall. If, however, your doctor tells you yes, you must locate the surgeon who performed your hip replacement procedure. If that surgeon is unreachable, you can request your records from the hospital where the procedure took place. Hospitals are required to keep records of any and all implants they place in patients, and there likely will be a record of the hip implant you received.
My Hip Implant was Manufactured by DePuy; What Now?
If you have determined that your hip implant is part of the DePuy hip implant recall, you can do one of two things:
1. You can contact DePuy directly about compensation. However, you will be speaking to trained claims adjustors whose jobs are designed to settle your case at the lowest possible cost to DePuy. This course of action is not recommended.
2. You can contact the Mininno Law Office regarding the recall. Here, we can ensure that a fair and reasonable claim can be presented to DePuy. It will include a claim for:
– Any additional testing and treatment;
– Medical treatment for any problems associated with the defective implant;
– Revision surgery for the explantation of the defective implant, and re-implantation of a non defective hip implant;
– Out-of-pocket medical expenses;
– Additional compensation such as lost work, time, and travel expenses; and
– Money damages to the full extent of the losses and harms caused by the defective hip implant.
NJ and PA DePuy Recall Attorneys at the Mininno Law Office
Our system of civil justice demands that people who have been injured becasue of a wrongdoer’s negligence must be compensated. If you or someone you know has a DePuy hip implant, please call us for a free consultation at (856) 833-0600 in New Jersey or (215) 567-2380 in Philadelphia.
We can offer you more information regarding the full compensation to which you may be entitled.